Abortion rights in the United States are one of the hottest topics in the country. The Supreme Court has overturned its previous decision allowing women to get abortions, and now there is a huge controversy over The legality of abortion in different states of the country.
Let’s not go that road and make any judgment on the legality or provide any opinion on the status of abortion. Abortion is somewhat little in the United States, and it is our job to help you understand every aspect of abortion.
Once you have an abortion, there will be several questions you are going to ask about yourself and your condition. How to treat smelly discharge after abortion is one of the most common questions in women who get abortions for the very first time.
Don’t worry. Smelly discharge after abortion is completely normal, and we will help you get over that without any major complications.
Table of Contents
What is Smelly Discharge after an Abortion?
Smelly discharge after abortion is a highly common condition where your vagina will discharge a strong and unpleasant odor.
This type of discharge is highly common during the initial days Following the procedure. It may also become a sign of a successful procedure Or any infection soon after the abortion.
Unwanted discharge after abortion is highly common, but any fall adoration in the discharge might be a sign of infection.
You might already be aware that bacteria may enter the uterus or vagina During abortion or post-procedure care, and it may trigger infection.
Smelly discharge after abortion is usually accompanied by other symptoms as well. Symptoms like pain and fever are highly common, and you should be aware as these are the signs of an Infection.
Healthcare experts recommend everyone seek immediate medical assistance if they are experiencing smelly discharge and symptoms like pain and fever after the procedure.
What are the Causes of Smelly Discharge after Abortion?
Discharge after abortion is a highly common condition, and you should not be worried about that, Till it has strong adoration.
There are sandal causes of smelly discharge after the abortion, and we have explained some of them in the below-given section.
- Infection after the procedure is one of the biggest causes of smelly discharge after abortion. Infection is a common condition after the infection when healthcare experts do not use high levels of hygiene or the patient does not maintain hygiene levels.
- Bacteria may easily enter the vagina or uterus during or after the procedure, and it may result in infection. You must be very careful during and after the procedure and consult every symptom with your healthcare provider.
- Retained tissues are another common cause of smelly discharge after abortion. A small piece of tissue can remain in the uterus, which may result in infection or smelly discharge. It’s a common condition, and you don’t have to worry about it.
- Hormonal imbalance hormonal changes may also result in smelly discharge. Sudden changes in hormonal imbalance may result in discharge, and it is going to have a little different odor as well.
- Different sexually transmitted infections, including chlamydia and gonorrhea, may also result in a smelly discharge after abortion. You must understand all the symptoms of different sexually transmitted infections before the procedure to prevent the Infection.
As you can see, several causes may result in a smelly discharge after an abortion. Infection from bacteria is not the only cause, and healthcare experts believe that conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease may also result in smelly discharge.
Simple Steps to Treat Smelly Discharge After Abortion
There are several steps you can take to treat smelly discharge after an abortion. Till now, you have understood that smelly discharge, along with other symptoms, may also be a sign of infection.
Still, healthcare experts recommend a long list of tips that can help you prevent or treat smelly discharge after an abortion.
- First of all, you should contact your healthcare provider. Some type of discharge after the procedure is common, but you should not be having any foul adoration along with discharge. Contacting your healthcare expert and letting them know is the best thing you can do right now.
- You may also practice at a good level of hiking soon after you go through the procedure. Taking showers instead of baths and avoiding scented soaps can help you not disrupt the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina.
- You may also wear comfortable clothes, including breathable cotton underwear, for some days after the procedure. You should try to change your pads and tampons frequently and always wear clean clothes.
- Kindly try to rest as much as possible soon after the procedure. Eating a balanced diet and staying hydrated may also help you prevent the smelly discharge after abortion and even recover from that.
- Lastly, your healthcare expert might also suggest you take some over-the-counter treatment options that can help you come out of smelly discharge after an abortion. Usually, healthcare experts recommend antifungal creams to treat the infection.
These are some of the most important tips that can help you treat smelly discharge after an abortion. You should remember that this charge after abortion is common, but it should not have any kind of adoration or other symptoms.
If you are already struggling with symptoms like smelly discharge and fever, you should call your healthcare provider right away and let them know.
You might be struggling with an infection, and your healthcare expert might suggest you take some prescription medicine for the infection.
Your healthcare expert might recommend you take antibiotics to treat smelly discharge after abortion if it is a result of any infection. There is no fixed treatment for smelly discharge after an abortion due to different causes.
How to Prevent Smelly Discharge after Abortion?
Similar to treatment, it’s also important for everyone to learn about the prevention of smelly discharge after abortion. Healthcare experts say it’s better to avoid any condition than seek treatment.
There are several benefits of preventing smelly discharge after abortion, and healing and reducing the risk of Complications are a few of those benefits.
- First of all, you should practice good hygiene soon after the procedure. You should keep your vaginal area clean by washing with mild soap and water.
- You may also avoid using douches and bathtubs that are going to disrupt the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina.
- Kindly try to prevent any sexual activity soon after the procedure. We healthcare experts do not recommend anyone to have sexual activity for at least a few weeks after the abortion.
- Sexual activity may increase the risk of bacteria entering the vagina and increasing the risk of different kinds of infection. That may also result in smelly discharge As well.
- You may also avoid using tampons as it may result in bacteria Directly entering your vagina. Healthcare experts recommend everyone use sanitary pads.
- Your healthcare expert might also recommend you take some precautionary antibiotics. Kindly do not avoid and take the medicine as prescribed.
- Resting and avoiding heavy activities might also help you prevent having smelly discharge after an abortion. Rest is an important factor in recovery and prevention of infection.
- You may also start eating a balanced healthy diet which will help you boost your immune system.
These are the most important tips that can help you prevent smelly discharge after an abortion. Kindly focus on following all the above-given tips to prevent the condition in the first place.
For more information, we highly recommend you consult with your healthcare provider. Your healthcare provider might also suggest following some guidelines according to your previous medical history and current medical conditions.
Is smelly discharge normal after abortion?
Some discharge after abortion is normal, but you should not have a smelly discharge. Different medical conditions, including infection, might lead you to smelly discharge after infection, and it’s important to prevent the condition.
When should I seek medical attention for smelly discharge after an abortion?
Smelly discharge after abortion is a clear sign of a medical emergency. Infection and other conditions might result in a smelly discharge after abortion, and you should immediately seek medical assistance. There might be several other symptoms of infection, including severe pain and fever.
Can I have intercourse after an abortion?
No, you should not have intercourse as soon after abortion. Healthcare experts recommend everyone maintain a gap of at least 3 to 5 weeks after the abortion to perform any kind of sexual activities.