Ulcerative Colitis Diet – Diet is among the most important parts of the health of humans. We require several nutrients, including micro and macro, to live our lives healthily. Whenever we face any health issues, the first thing doctors ask us to do is maintain our diet.
For example, people who have diabetes will be asked not to consume any processed food items rich in sugar. Similarly, people who have hypertension will be asked not to consume any food items containing high levels of sodium.
You can see in the above-given examples that health experts asked the person not to consume opposite things for two different diseases. Diet is also known to be one of the biggest factors in recovering from any disease, And it can also help you live with it.
Ulcerative Colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that is very common in the United States. We usually record around 300,000 cases of the disease each year. It is a chronic disease which means that there is no treatment available for that.
What does Ulcerative Colitis Diet focus on?
As you are already aware, Ulcerative Colitis disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease which is known to cause severe abdominal pain, cramping, diarrhea, and reduced appetite.
Health experts around the world suggest that a person can easily live with the condition without going through any severe treatment options. The only thing a person has to focus on is their diet.
The only thing you should be focusing on here is the process of elimination. You might not be able to digest specific types of foods according to your condition, and you should eliminate them from your diet.
These food items can be a little bit different for each person in the world. For example, some people might not be able to digest food items with lactose, while some might not be able to have food items with gluten.
You should learn the elimination process to create your own specific Ulcerative Colitis Diet. It will be more beneficial for you rather than consulting it with anyone else.
What is the Elimination Process of the Ulcerative Colitis Diet?
You can consult with any healthcare expert, dietitian, or fitness expert in the world. They all will suggest that you learn the elimination process on your own to make the best decisions when it comes to dieting.
The first thing you should be doing right now is making a list of most of the food items you eat in a day. If you are struggling with the disease, then we highly recommend you eat homemade food as much as possible.
We usually repeat homemade food, and it can be the best choice for you to learn the elimination process.
Once you have made the list of all the food items, keep eating them for the next 5 to 10 days till you find the root cause.
- First of all, you should remove all the food items with gluten and see if you experience any symptoms associated with Ulcerative Colitis.
- If you experience any symptoms associated with the disease, then you can include food items with gluten back in your diet and remove food items with lactose.
- You should repeat the whole process again and again till you find the food items that might be causing the trouble.
Make sure you are not consuming any fast food, sugary drinks, hot spices, or alcohol over processed meat.
Keeping a food journal can also help you find all the food items that might be causing the disease.
The whole process of keeping track of your food can be a little bit odd to you, but it is the best choice available in the world. If you can find the food items that might be causing the trouble, then there is nothing in the world that would stop you from living with Ulcerative Colitis.
Food items might be good for Ulcerative Colitis Diet
As we have already told you, you will have to create your diet depending on the foods available in your area. It is always going to be a wise decision to create your diet plan depending on the foods available in your region.
We are going to provide you with a list of some food items that can be very helpful with your condition. People who are struggling with similar conditions also have these foods in their diet plan.
- First of all, you should make sure that you have some probiotics in your Ulcerative Colitis Diet. You can have yogurt, curd, and other food items which contain good gut bacteria. These food items are known to reduce stomach inflammation.
- Secondly, you should include some lean protein sources, including fish, chicken, eggs, and tofu. Usually, people do not eat these items as a lean protein source.
- Thirdly, you should make sure you have enough food items which contain omega-3 fatty acids. Food items such as walnut, flaxseed, hemp, and chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Another thing you should include in your Ulcerative Colitis diet is low-fiber fruit items such as bananas, cooked fruits, cantaloupes, etc.
- Refined grains, including white pasta, gluten-free bread, white rice, potato, and oatmeal, are also known to be very helpful in the Ulcerative Colitis Diet.
- Dietary supplements such as oral vitamin supplements and protein shakes are also very helpful. Before you start these supplements, you should consult with your healthcare provider first.
- Make sure you are consuming enough fluids to stay hydrated. People who are struggling with the condition Ulcerative Colitis require more fluids than a normal person.
These are just a handful of food items you should include in your Ulcerative Colitis Diet. Apart from that, there could be hundreds of different food items which could be good for your gut and condition.
We highly recommend everyone consult the diet with their healthcare provider. Usually, healthcare providers also provide a list of food items that could be good for your condition.
No matter what, you will have to make sure you are not consuming any food items which are known to worsen your condition. You might not be able to consume food items such as eggs or chicken. The process of elimination should be active in your mind all the time.
Food items might be bad for Ulcerative Colitis Diet
Along with the healthy food items, there are some food items that you should be avoided for your Ulcerative Colitis Diet.
Usually, people struggling with these types of conditions do not include these food items as they are known to increase inflammation in the gut and worsen the condition.
- First of all, you should make sure you are not consuming any alcoholic drinks such as beer, wine, or liquor, as these products are known to increase gut inflammation.
- Red meats and processed meats are also not part of the Ulcerative Colitis Diet. Usually, healthcare experts suggest not consuming these food items as they are hard to digest.
- Lactose products are also a little bit hard for a huge number of people to consume. If you are also struggling with these food items, you should make sure you are not consuming them at all.
- All types of carbonated drinks, including coke, Pepsi, and Mountain Dew, can trigger the symptoms associated with the condition. Kindly do not make a part of them of your Ulcerative Colitis Diet.
- Food items high in fiber might be good for your overall health, but they are not good for your condition. High-fiber food items take a longer time to digest, which can trigger the symptoms associated with your condition.
- You can also make sure that you are not eating more gluten than the recommended dose for a day. Even for a healthy person, gluten is very hard to digest, and people who are struggling with the condition can experience the trigger.
As we have already discussed several times, you will have to follow the process of elimination when it comes to diet. Usually, people are suggested not to consume any food items that are high in fat, sugar, or sodium.
Which is the best Ulcerative Colitis Diet?
All types of diets will have homemade food items that are the best Ulcerative Colitis Diet. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention do not recommend any specific type of diet, but they highly recommend everyone eat small meals more than three times a day and only consume the force that is not going to trigger the symptoms of the condition.